TYRELL, Charles

1776 - 1872

Born at Gipping and baptised at Stowupland, Suffolk on 4 February 1776, only son of of Revd Charles Tyrell, vicar of Thurston and rector of Thornham Magna and Thornham Parva in Suffolk under the patronage of Lord Henniker, and his wife Elizabeth née Baker of Stowupland. His father had inherited Gipping from his cousin Edmund Tyrell in 1799. Educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge 1793. He married on 8 June 1801, Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Richard Ray of Plashwood, Haughley near Stowmarket and had two sons and three daughters. His wife Elizabeth died on 22 August 1826 and on the 9 September 1828, he married secondly, Mary Anne, daughter of John Matthews of Wargrave, Berkshire, the widow of Thomas William Cooke of Polstead, Suffolk. Charles was High Sheriff of Suffolk 1815-1816 and MP for Suffolk 1830-1832 and for Suffolk West 1832-1834.
He took pride in family paintings by Sir Peter Lely and Vandyke and built up a collection of early books. In 1811 he inherited Gipping, which was then let to Sir John Shelley, and the major part of his father’s personal estate, valued at under £10,000. A founder member in 1821 of the Suffolk Pitt Club and a member of the Ipswich Society of Professional & Amateur Artists from 1832. After his second marriage in 1828 he moved to Polstead Hall near Hadleigh, which his bride had inherited, with personal estate worth almost £20,000, from her first husband in 1825. Following his second wife’s death in 1849, he moved back to Plashwood, where he died in January 1872, ‘shortly before his 96th birthday’. He was succeeded in his estates and manors by his elder son Charles Tyrell (1805-1887) to whom, by a deed of gift dated 8 May 1871, he had previously bequeathed his personal estate. The minutes of the Ipswich Society of Professional & Amateur Artists clearly state Tyrell, MP, as his son could have been construed as the member. Several painting of Charles Tyrell and his father are listed in Farrer's 'Pictures in Suffolk Houses West' and a painting of Tyrell and his family in 1805 by Henry Walton was sold for £48,000 in 1981.