COLCHESTER, Charles Cornwell

1788 - 1876

Charles Cornwell Colchester

Charles Cornwell Colchester was baptised at St Peter's church, Ipswich on 22 February 1788, son of Benjamin Colchester and his wife Deborah née Death, who married at Newmarket, Suffolk on 29 May 1782, and probably a godson of Emerson Cornwell (1731-1819) the Ipswich banker. In partnership with his father and eldest brother William in a candle and soap business also briefly in a newly established Roman Cement factory in St Peters parish, Ipswich which is referred to in the 'Ipswich Journal' of 15 May 1819. In 1839 Charles Colchester & Co., were tallow chandlers at Friars Lane, Ipswich and Charles is listed in Pigot's Directory as a Russia broker, at Baltic Coffee House, Bank, London and also worked with his brother William George Colchester as a tallow merchant in London. In 1851,'retired' living with his family at 22 Charlwood Street, Pimlico, London and by 1861 had moved to 1 Champion Terrace, Denmark Hill, London. Whilst in Ipswich was a governor of the Ipswich Public Dispensary, later the Ipswich & East Suffolk Hospital, and in 1835 elected to the board of Guardians of the Ipswich Union and several other Ipswich Charities and was a churchwarden for St Peterís parish. He marrid at St Giles-in-the-Fields, London in 1813, Mary Bye (1783-1857) and had issue including Edmund, Mary Ann and Charles Bye. In the minutes of the Ipswich Society of Professional & Amateur Artists 1832-1840 a member is listed as Mr Colchester in 1832 and Charles Colchester in 1837 which could be either this Charles Cornwell or his son Charles Bye Colchester [q.v.]