PACKARD, Sir Edward

1843 - 1932

Sir Edward Packard

Known as Edward Packard, jun. until the death of his father in 1899. Born at Saxmundham, Suffolk on 28 September 1843, son of Edward Packard and his first wife Mary née Woods. Educated at Bury St Edmund’s grammar school and in 1859 admitted to King’s College, London where he studied chemistry and engineering, in 1861 proceeded to the Royal College of Agriculture at Cirencester and went, together with brother Henry, on a ‘grand tour’ of the continent. About 1863 he entered the family firm of Edward Packard and with the retirement of his father in 1886 the business was carried on by sons Edward and Henry (1848–1904), trading as Edward Packard & Co. He married in May 1867, Ellen, eldest daughter of Walton Turner, leather manufacturer of Ipswich and had twelve children and lived at Grove House, Bramford, near Ipswich for sixty–five years. In 1881, a 37 year old chemical manufacturer, employing 320 hands, of Grove House, Bramford with 34 year old wife Ellen and children Katherine 11, Winifred 9, Edith Celia 8, Reginald 5, Nina 4, Phyllis Margaret 2, Harold Turner 1 and twins Sylvia Ellen and Walter Gerald, 2 months, all born at Bramford and they kept five servants. 1892–1912 printing ink manufacturers at Duke Street but in 1916 they are not listed under ink manufacturers but were still in the agricultural chemical industry. In 1895 a limited company was formed with Edward as chairman, a position he held until 1929, when the company merged as Fison, Packard & Prentice Ltd and Edward retired aged 86. The company eventually became named Fisons Fertilizers Plc. Edward’s greatest love was art and painting and founded the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1873 and a major supporter and president of the Art Club and was secretary until his death. He exhibited 1882-1898 exhibiting from Bramford in 1882 a watercolour 'Derwentwater', in 1883 two watercolours 'Near Priory Farm' and 'Near Bonchurch, I of W', and the following year exhibited 'In Winter Time' and in 1898 exhibited 'An October Evening' but his most famous exhibit was in 1902 with 'Battle of St Vincent' which is now owned by Ipswich Museum and is on show at Christchurch Mansion, and at the Ipswich Art Club centenary in 1974 his watercolour 'Gipping Barge at Bramford Lock' was on show. He also exhibited at the Dudley Gallery in 1880. In 1922 his services to the Conservative Party were recognised when knighted. He died at Bramford on the 11 April 1932 (Copsey - Ipswich Book Trades. 2011)




Works by This Painter