BELLIS, Alan Waddington

1883 - 1960

Alan Waddington Bellis, was born at Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester on 20 February 1883, son of Edward Samuel Bellis, a printer compositor, and his wife Eva ne Waddington, who married at Manchester in 1873. Alan studied at Leeds College of Art, the Royal College of Art, and with a travelling scholarship in 1910 in Italy. Architect, watercolour painter, modeller and metal worker and an Associate of the Royal College of Art. Master of Ipswich School of Art 1914-1948 and from 1921, a member of Ipswich Art Club until his death, also exhibiting fifteen paintings at the Royal Academy and exhibiting at the Royal Watercolour Society. He exhibited regularly at Ipswich Art Club from 5 Fonnereau Road, Ipswich, including in 1923, watercolours 'The Old Font, St Peter's Church, Ipswich' and 'The Bell Chamber, St Peter's Church, Ipswich', in 1927 from 40 Gainsborough Road, Ipswich, watercolours 'The Percy Tomb, Beverley Minster, Yorks', 'Beverley Minster' and 'Interior of Barn at Tuddenham', in 1932 'Framsden Mill', 'Ipswich' and 'Church Farm, Tuddenham', in 1933 'The Old Hall, Helmingham' and 'Stonewall Farm, Hemingstone', in 1937 'A Suffolk Village' and 'A Norfolk Barn Interior', in 1941 'Looking Down the Stairs', in 1943 'An Old Timber Yard' and in 1944 a 'Self Portrait'. He designed and made the Diocesan Crozier for the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich in 1916 and also carved the head of Sir Thomas Wolsey above the side door to the Wolsey Art Gallery at Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich he also designed the cover for St Peter's Parish Magazine. He married at Hull, Yorkshire in 1919, Florence Livingstone Thompson who was born on 4 June 1891 and died at Ipswich in 1983 and Bellis died at Ipswich on 12 December 1960, aged 77.

Bellis is seated at the front on the left




Works by This Painter