SAUMAREZ, Hon. Marion

1885 - 1978

Born at St George's Hanover Square, London on 29 June 1885, daughter of diplomat James St Vincent, 4th Lord de Saumarez (1843-1937), and his wife Jane Ann née Vere-Broke of Shrubland Hall, near Ipswich, an estate brought to the Saumarez family through the Broke family, her brother was James St Vincent Broke Saumarez (1889–1969), 5th Baron and father of Veronica [q.v.] and Christine [q.v.]. She was brought up in Guernsey and in Paris, where her father took an apartment which gave her an ideal opportunity to develop her interest in painting and she enrolled in the Académie Julian. This French Art Academy was groundbreaking at that time in that it offered women the same training in art as men. A member of Ipswich Art Club from 1912-1942 and exhibited from Shrubland Park, Coddenham, Ipswich in 1916 two portraits 'Miss P. Horton' and 'Miss E. Horton' in 1923 Glen Crearan, Argyll' in 1927 'The Old Monk' and in 1932 'Monte Casino'. She also exhibited at the London Salon in 1906 and the New Gallery in 1908 from 43 Grosvenor Place, London she also exhibited at the Paris Salon and achieved some success as a portraitist, notable sitters including General Gordon and the novelist M. R. James and her sister Gladys (1887-1975). She died, unmarried, at Cambridge in 1978. On inheriting the estate in 1887 the Lords Saumarez lived at Shrubland Hall until they placed the estate on the market in 2006 and returned to Guernsey. Her paintings can be found in both private and public collections. An example of her work can be seen at St Andrew's Church, Tostock, Suffolk, which contains the painting 'The Altar Of Sacrifice' which was commissioned as a Parish Memorial to those who died in the First World War.




Works by This Painter