JARMAN, Derek J

1927 - 2012

Derek Jarman

Born at Ipswich in 1927, son of Bertie Herbert Jarman (17 August 1894-1971), hairdresser & baker, and his wife Elsie M. née Bishop (18 July 1893-1945), who married at Ipswich in 1920 and in 1939 were living at 84 Murray Road, Ipswich. Educated in Ipswich and studied at the Ipswich Civic College, now University of Suffolk, under Bernard Reynolds, John Green and Richard Scott. He married at Ipswich in 1951, Delphine E. Talbot [Jarman q.v.], and they had two sons including Johnathan Clive Jarman [q.v.]. He commenced wood carving in 1957 followed by carving in stone and has also worked in silver and cast aluminium. A member of the Ipswich Art Club from 1961 and exhibited from 68 Chelsworth Avenue, Ipswich from 1960 including in 1960 'Owl' (in elm), in 1961 'Tiger Sharp' (laburnham), in 1962 'Jane' (yew-wood) and in 1974 'Nauticus (walnut) 'Reclining Figure' (wood). His ancient stone sculpture 'Mother and Child' was shown at the centenary exhibition in 1974 and has also shown at the Hintlesham Festival and with the 'Sculptors of Suffolk' exhibition. Among the highlights of his artistic career was carving the candle holders for St Paulís Cathedral, which were first used at the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981. Derek, who was the owner of Jarmanís Hairdressers in Northgate Street, Ipswich, was awarded an MBE in 1999 for his outstanding charity work. He lived at Chelsworth Avenue, Ipswich and died on 28 February 2012.